Chapter 3 - Trip Planning and Preparation
At the end of this chapter, the successful student will be able to:
- Make informed boating decisions based on forecasted local weather, water conditions, boater skill level, boat range, and capability of the operator and the boat pertinent to those conditions.
- Identify dangerous weather conditions.
- Obtain information about local hazards that could impede the operation of their boat.
- Understand the importance of notifying someone of your boating plans.
- List the information that should be included in a float plan.
- Understand the need for regular inspection and maintenance of the boat.
- Identify the key components of the boat.
- Describe the procedures for safe trailering, towing, launching, and retrieving the boat from the water.
- Describe the procedures for fueling, ventilation during fueling, and protection of the marine environment during fueling.
- Understand the importance of using a pre-departure checklist.
- Conduct an onboard safety discussion with his/her passengers.